[CF-Devel] Tile improvements

dnh dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au
Fri Mar 16 18:40:27 CST 2001

     Personally I am not yet convinced that including these tiles is a

     good idea. On the other hand they do look nice.

     AndreasV

I agree, they look nice but we just don't have the talent around to do
such graphics, let alone an entire set. I was more thinking in terms of
catelogueing. I suggest these graphics get put somewhere on the cvs out of
the way, that way we wont accidently lose graphics we may in future want
to use. I personally feel the alternate set is turning out very very well
indeed. What is important in a game is not how realistic an image is, but
how well it relates to the character. In our minds we set patterns that
quickly identify something. When playing a game you don't actually see the
image after awhile, mearly what it represents.

An experienced player will react before any other player even realises
what they are looking at, if you can create a set that looks appealing and
is easily recognised it is both fun and nice. If there are parts that are
hard to recognise it looses some appeal. For example, the skulls looked
okay, but were so small players were finding them hard to recognise thus
they were not good (in some cases this may actually be intended.. for
example unusual kobold can be hard to spot, that is half the challenge).
While photorealism may excite some people, I think on average good players
don't really care what the graphics are like. Peterm's frontal based set
is Very fun to play alot better than the old xpm and much more intuitive
than the 'iso' set.

What we should be attempting to do is create a set which is both pretty
and fun, and im sure those two values differ between people. I think
perhaps two sets will be more than enough to fill the appetites of
players, we should now set about defining the sets and filling them up.
Peterm and I are currently the only people maintaining the alternate set,
but we are rapidly over writting old xpms. Sharing between the sets has
made things very easy.

Just my thoughts =)

dnh