[CF-Devel] object movers

Preston Crow crow at bear.cs.dartmouth.edu
Mon Mar 26 15:12:22 CST 2001

I was looking at the player movers (which are famous for the dancing
trees), and I had an idea that would use an object mover, but I didn't see
them anywhere.  What I would like is an object mover that can optionally
specify a slaying field to specify what objects to move.  For example, it
could move rings only.  (You would probably want to be able to specify if
the match was exact, so you could control whether ring mail would get
moved, as well as a ring.)

This could be used in a variety of ways.  I have one in mind, obviously,
but I'm sure that there are other possibilities.  (For example, the
aqueduct in Nurnberg wouldn't have to flag the clock as alive to have it
wash away.)

Or perhaps the existing movers should be adjusted to be more generic (with
an update to all the maps, easily done with awk):

Level:  1 -- move monsters
        2 -- move players
        4 -- move non-living objects
[As always, add them to combine effects.]

Slaying:  If set, only move objects/monsters that match the text string

It would take one more parameter to determine if the slaying can be fuzzy
or exact (i.e., strncmp vs. strcmp).  It could be level 8 if nothing else
is better.

--PC