[CF-Devel] Sound

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Wed Mar 28 02:08:54 CST 2001

dnh wrote:

      I am running debian and I recently got my whole cvs thing figured out. Now

      when the client starts this operation 'cfsndserv' it blocks out all other

      sound requests. The only way I can get sound to work again is to kill that

      process. I am not sure if this is only a problem I am getting, but it

      means I can't use sound... annoying.. maybe ;).

      Any ideas why this is happening?

 I take this to mean that once cfsndserv starts up, other applications can not
play sounds, but crossfire sounds still play.

 The simple answeer is this is really a OS/sound device limitation issue.  Some
sound implementations can have multiple applications opening the same device,
while others can only have one application playing a sound at a time.  Other
than crossfire not opening a sound device (and thus not playing sounds), there
really isn't much that can be done to improve this.