[CF-Devel] poisoning & demonologic tower

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruznet.com
Wed May 2 14:12:59 CDT 2001

On Wed, 2 May 2001, Preston Crow wrote:

      Why should repairing be a pain?

 Because if it isn't, there really isn't any point to damage it in
the first place?

      In my experience, once you can get an item once, you can get a bunch of

      them, so if repairing is a pain, you just horde a collection of them.

      The only exception was when I got the Katana of Matsume in the raffle.

 I think this depends.  At high levels, probably most all your items are
specific artifacts that you can get from someplace (or are in fact
immune to acid attacks, so you don't need to worry about them anyays.)

 But at low levels, it may be the random items that are very rare.  For
exapmle, the character I'm currently playing on csua found a helm of
sorig (might have even been +1 when I found it).  I don't think I've
seen another since that time.  So when the one I had got corroded down to
-4, I gave it up and just went for the full helm +2 (until I find
something better).

 So at least in that case, I would have gone to some lengths to get it
repaired.  If it was trivially easy (ie, just go to the shop and
pay some amount of money), then the corrosion wouldn't have bothered me
at all.

 That said, easy repairability could be allowed, in which case for
acid monsters, what becomes fearsome is the damage they might do, and not
the corrosion.  Which may be perfectly fine.  It just diminishes that
danger of acid monsters quite a bit, and since there are not a lot of
acid monsters, reduces the need for protection from them abit.