[CF-Devel] Unclear crash

Tom Barnes-Lawrence the_real_tomble at hotmail.com
Thu May 3 23:40:52 CDT 2001

Whilst trying to catch up on some of the mail I hadn't read yet,
and generally sort out my inbox, I noticed Mark talking
about maybe releasing V1 next week (or maybe post was from last
week), so I thought I should point out a crash I had 2 or 3
days ago- (v0.98)
I hadn't mentioned it before as I hadn't got any logfile or any
sort of messages, so it seemed of very little use, but it was a
*server* crash, not a dropped client or other bug, and I hadn't
noticed any references to such crashes recently.
Basically, I'd connected to my server to check one of my maps
was doing what I'd expected, then got my character back to a
nearby inn to logout again, and altered the map I'd checked. I
waited 15 minutes (I'd set v.low reset), then logged back in.
Character appeared back in the inn, as expected. I resized the
client window, and then noticed that it was asking me to choose a
server again, and the game window was blank. Tried to reconnect,
and realised the server was dead (I hadn't been using crossloop).
..
Obviously without a logfile you can't really tell anything, but
the inn map I was logging into would also have been going to reset
something like the same time as I logged in. It had nothing fancy,
just floors, walls, savebeds and an exit. As I say, my character
managed to log in just before the server crashed.
  Sorry there was no more useful info than that,
  Tomble
PS-I do realise that whatever it was may have been fixed in CVS, but
then again, it might not, so I figure maybe it's better to say.