[CF-Devel] Unclear crash

Tom Barnes-Lawrence the_real_tomble at hotmail.com
Tue May 8 21:08:37 CDT 2001

(NOTE- whatever I try to do to circumvent it, Hotmail always
seems able to screw up my posts in one way or another.
I just want to get that off my chest before it does it again.)

Mark Wedel wrote:

     update_button is called whenever the button is pressed/activated.

     If you are using a button/plate, then all this takes is for some

     object (of appropriate weight) to be on the space.

       That sounds like a reasonable thing for it to do.

     Now what the error really means is that one of the objects that

     had the same connected value has 'disappeared'.  disappeared

     could be any of various causes -a monster that was killed, or

     some other destroyable objects.

       OK, now that's a bit freaky. You are saying the actual
button objects, etc. are being destroyed?

       As currently implemented, connected objects must be permanent.

     My guess is you have some objects with connected values that

     are not permanent (note it doesn't make a different code wise

     that these destroyed connected objects may not do anything -

     just anything with a connected value is put on the connected

     object list at load time).

  Some of my maps have slightly extreme bits of machinery-
but I'm fairly sure I've not put buttons that get used up or
anything like that. There've been some creators which get
used up, but I don't think the ones in the stall_2 map did, and
that got a few errors too.None of the errors have mentioned
creators, prolly because they're not buttons :P
  Putting everything together now, I'm *supposing* that what's
happening, is that when the affected maps are reset, at which
point the objects on it must be removed from memory (or have I
got that wrong?), the bit that calls update_button doesn't
realise they've gone (or maybe it even thinks the buttons are on
a different map, I dunno the CF internals).
..
  For some bizarre reason, I had *previously* been thinking along
the lines of the maps resetting and CF trying to reinitialise
everything on them, and deciding that the combination of buttons
couldn't be resolved- but in retrospect, that would make no sense :P
.
  Looking now, it makes much more sense as the maps are basically
usable, and only produce the errors on reset. Perhaps it's related
to the things DNH had been saying about the "update item for item
we don't have" error (I've no idea), like maybe one global data
structure could be messing up and causing all this. As my maps
seem to be causing the errors fairly repeatably, perhaps this
could shed some more light on it.
  [BTW- I prolly should have mentioned earlier, yes I'm sure I've
seen the "update_item for item we don't have" error in cfclient,
but I don't remember them crashing it at all. And not anywhere near
titans, either :P]
Tomble