[CF-Devel] acid and repairing of weapons

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Sat May 12 12:59:05 CDT 2001

 How big a problem is presents for experienced people?

 It seems that it will always be difficult to prevent that abuse.  Even with a
you need to have the item repaired periodically, I could see the experienced
people still giving out say the dragon armor, and maybe some cash now and again.

 My bigger worry about wear and tear on items is balancing it so it happens fast
enough, but not too fast and not too slow.  If its too fast such that you need
to visit the armourer a few times when clearing out a dungeon because your
weapons are getting damaged, this just makes it annoying.  However, at the same
time, if youu can go through several dungeons before the object getting damaged,
this may not be frequent enough to have much real effect.

 If presents from high level characters are really the problem, a better way to
deal with this is probably to add min_level values to most all the objects.
This would act in a similar fashion as how player improved swords act - if your
not high enough level, you can't use it.

 Except for map makers putting in really good items with no min level, I can't
really think of any way this could be abused.    The tricky part is of course
figuring out what reasonable min levels for all the varioius pieces of equipment
may be.  But that is probably no harder than trying to balance repair costs and
how much they decay for normal objects.

 This doesn't address the problem with acid however.  And AV's idea of decay,
even if only used for acid, may help out - now it just becomes a matter of
spending money to get your item back the way it was before.  And some items
could of course have a very high decay rate, so take lots of hits.