[CF-Devel] Reducing exp penalty on death

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Sun May 13 03:48:41 CDT 2001

Peterm wrote:

      > I agree with AV, you feel alot more proud of a high level char

      > because it took so much work to do, if we lower that difficulty..

      > OBVIOUSLY.. you will be less proud of getting a high exp char.

      > I would actually be more happy to see the amount of exp required

      > per level a log(x) - 2 curve or such...

      Well, it took me, arguably a highly experienced and expert player,

      something like 3-4 months to bring my char to his present mostly-maxed

      state on Metalforge.

      Seems hard enough to me!

      I don't think it needs fixing.

Well, we're talking about reducing exp loss on death.
Now imagine every time you died it took you only 3 levels down,
would you still need 3 months to hit level 110? I bet no.

Anyways, my concern is that once we have this 3 levels limit,
there is no difference between being level 50 and level 110,
except that the player grows stronger.
You need the same amount of exp to gain a level, and you loose
the same amount when you die. In other words: If you are able
to reach level 50, growing to level 110 requires no additional
effort. In fact, it will be much easier at the high end
because the player is a lot stronger by that time.

I think this would be very odd. That's why I plead for
using widening gaps for level gains, like all RPGs do.
That wouldn't make the game very much harder, it would mainly
lenghten the process to hit the uppermost level.
So that the average time to beat the game is kept about the
same, while the difficulty to keep your levels is reduced.
Make players grow slower but grow more steadily.

Andreas V.