[CF-Devel] Future crossfire changes/projects

Scott Barnes reeve at ductape.net
Wed May 16 09:22:51 CDT 2001

On 15 May 2001 23:55:21 -0700, Mark Wedel wrote:

       Now that 1.0 is out, I'd like to get a little discussion/input on future

      changes for crossfire (say 2.0).  I'm trying to keep these a bit more general in

      nature and not go into details of exactly how feasible different options are (as

      other changes may make some things easier or harder to do).  This is also to

      make it aware to others possible projects they may want to take on.  I'm also

      trying to limit to big and/or controversial projects.  Doing something like

      adding a new spell isn't going to make this list.

       If you followup, it is probably worth while to start a thread for each of the

      proposed changes, so that conversation on each one is easier.  Using the brief

      description in the Change line for subject is probably a good idea.

      General template I'm using:

      Proposed Change: Brief description of change

      Details: More detail on the change and other notes

      Pros & Cons: possible benefits

I was just thinking about this yesterday.  So here's my ideas:

Proposed Change:  Competition Maps
Details:  Add the ability to make NPCs remember things after map resets,
so that maps like a "race to the finish" map or "battle to the death"
map could be feasible.  Also, just a novelty idea here, a map could be
done that would be sortof a sumo wrestling tournament, players pay some
coins to enter the tournment, try to push each other out of a circle,
and the winner (the one that never got pushed out) gets all the coins
the players paid.  Just a thought :)
Pros:  Just think of the possiblities :)
Cons:  Might be difficult to do, players that are sore losers might get
bitter and kill the winners ;)

Proposed Change:  "Smart" NPC's
Details:  Sortof the same thing.  Make NPC's able to "remember" things
about the players.
Pros:  It would make it possible for whole new plots to evolve around
the players (ie, a player that steals and attacks townspeople, the
townspeople would "remember" and could tell other players that they're
bad, players could even become "villians" and "heros" of sorts :))
Cons:  Would most likely be EXTREMELY difficult to implement.

-- --
Reeve the cat
----BEGIN FORTUNE----
Allen's Axiom:
        When all else fails, read the instructions.
----END FORTUNE----