[CF-Devel] Future crossfire changes/projects

Mike Ponicki sniper at citilink.com
Wed May 16 19:06:15 CDT 2001

      > All players play to have fun and a good and exciting gaming

      > experience. If you meet this demand, they will come. Otherwise

      > they will not come.

       Others may disagree, but I personally think it is not possible for

      crossfire to compete with commercial games ala everquest, ultima online,

      etc.  They have a lot more resources to throw at game developement,

      and can basically tell developers 'do XYZ'.

imo, crossfire has a much better engine/framework than ultima online or
everquest do. maybe that's just because crossfire has been around so long
(so as to give developers a chance to implement features), but I think
crossfire, as is, has a lot less work to go in being "awesome" than uo and
eq do, which have a number of big problems. so I think that crossfire
definately can compete with the bigger games, which tend to be released,
then stagnate as no new features get added after release. crossfire, on
the other hand, has already shown that it will survive indefinately and
continue to evolve.

remember that the more popular crossfire becomes, the more developers
we'll have, and the faster development will go

       And at least in the last two, how do you distribute them?  Even soundtracks

      would need to get professionally produced (otherwise, you almost certainly

      run into copyright issues).

I don't really get what you mean about copyright issues

did you ever play megazeux? www.modarchive.com has thousands of songs, and
I remember that people used to go there (probably still do, I'm not part
of the mzx scene much anymore), take songs that had no copyright/license
issues, and use them in their megazeux games. so if we built mod support
into crossfire, we could do that, or just have somebody write some music
specifically for the game

-Sniper

     sniper at citilink.com