[CF-Devel] Future crossfire changes/projects

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.yi.org
Thu May 17 08:15:21 CDT 2001

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 12:33:38AM -0700, Mark Wedel wrote:
[snip]

      > Change: Improved Alchemy System

      > - Details: The Alchemy is not often used in Crossfire. This may be because it

      > is seen as somewhat too difficult for too limited effects. Why not extending

      > its possibilities ? I think of a system allowing you to create objects that

      > have the added abilities of ingredients used to make them (ex: Sword + Potion

      > of Dex + Potion of Cha = Sword (Dex+1)(Cha+1)).

      > - Pros: This may make Alchemy more interesting and fun to play. New fields of

      > investigation for mages would be opened.

      > - Cons: May disturb playbalance a lot.

       I think some of the problem is that if you play honestly, you'll never find

      useful recipes either.  I think just having more information on what to make

      with alchemy may improve how often it is used.

Agreed. Currently, even low-level formulae are so rare that my level 110
character has yet to collect them all. High-level formulae are practically
impossible to find. I think the very least we can do is to increase the
chance for formula books.

If that turns out to be too unbalancing, perhaps we should think of a way
to make the Alchemist class playable.... i.e., Alchemist players get some
special way of learning formulae (perhaps a dedicated guild -- we can
implement this with race detectors AFAICT -- that hands out useful
formulae for players who advance in their level).

      > Change: Improved Combat System

      > - Details: The current combat system is very simple: you run into a monster

      > to hit. It may be interesting to improve this a bit by allowing special

      > combat techniques and critical hits. Monsters could be

      > immune/protected/vulnerable against some special combat techniques. In short,

      > the idea is to create an equivalent of spells but in the field of fighting.

      > - Pros: Make the warriors much more fun to play with. May allow more tactical

      > play.

      > - Cons: May become too complicated for many players to use.

     [snip]

       I think for things to be more tactical, things would need to be at a slower

      pace.  When right now you kill the monster by attackign it for 10 seconds, there

      isn't a lot of time to try different things.  If it took 30 seconds, then maybe

      that would be enough time to try some different things out.

     [snip]

10 seconds!! With my ring of the Necromancer, i can clean out an entire
room of cyclops/titans in 5 seconds. Less than a split second for each
monster. With karate. D'you think I'd be interested to worry about "karate
moves"? :-)

"How are you doing?" "Doing what?"