[CF-Devel] Future crossfire changes/projects

Mike Ponicki sniper at citilink.com
Thu May 17 16:18:08 CDT 2001

       The other bandwidth hog is large piles of objects on the ground.  This gets

      costly because for each item, we send the name information (arrow/arrows)

      as well as lots of other duplicate information (face for example).  In

      some cases, you get unique artifacts and can't help that, but most

      big piles are a whole bunch of mundane objects that could perhaps be

      handled in a better fashion.  If it was a commercial game with known

      information between the client and server, it could probably get simplied to

      '80 of item 1734', and the client would know item 1734 is arrows, its face is

      this, and its weight is this.

     Is there a way we could simplify the handling of objects, like how you
said commercial games would handle it, or would that be really tough to
implement?

-Sniper

     sniper at citilink.com