[CF-Devel] Has anyone had time to analyze the scripting patch submitted?

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Thu May 17 23:46:14 CDT 2001

Peter Mardahl wrote:

      Hello,

        I haven't had time to look at the scripting patch which has

      already been submitted.

        I'm not so sure I approve of a scheme-like syntax for a

      scripting language for crossfire, yet I don't want to dismiss

      it out of hand out of prejudice.

        Has anyone tried the patch and evaluated it yet?  We must

      not let it languish or be ignored--I wish I had the time just

      now to look at it myself.

 I looked at the source/sample files (didn't actually install it.).  Given that,
these  are its shortcomings:

1) scheme like syntax (may or may noot be a shortcoming depending on your like
of it)
2) improperly written scripts could crash the entire process.
3) each npc action requires a seperate script file.  So one complex npc may have
half a dozen different
   script files.
4) Require guile to be installed on system (ie, more software dependencies)

good things:
1) Appears to have support for lots of different actions, so fairly powerful
2) its real life code, vs something on the drawing board.

 my personal opinion is that as long as points 2 & 3 exist in the shortcomings,
its not useful.  #2 is a major one, but #3 just in terms of maintainabilty - I
would much rather have something line a msgscript .... endscript in the object,
and just have a big buffer in the object that contains the script.  When
something is done, it goes look at this buffer.  This way, the script and object
using the script stay connected.

 Note this is just from looking over the code and docs.  If I'm wrong on any of
this, I apologize to the author.

      PeterM

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com