[Re: [CF-Devel] Future of Crossfire]

Michael Toennies michael.toennies at nord-com.net
Tue May 22 06:32:34 CDT 2001

Hm, sorry to say but you both are wrong ;)

The problem are not the monsters... I mean LOOK at the iso
example of DG... the monsters are FLAT also some other objects.

What is NOT flat is the background - and background in both png sets
are really worse and a mix from many sets.

I can,t understand that no one believe me that the look of a map
NOT DEPENDS ON THE MONSTERS/CREATURE - it depends on the background.

Look at the iso example... count the creatures/flat objects and the "other"
objects... do this too for a normal CF map...

I mean, what you normal see are about 80%-90% background tiles... THEY make
the look.

Iso BACKGROUND will make the perspective.

Iso gfx like DG example makes it easy to include "high" of a object... means
there you can
stay "behind" a object.

* And there is not problem for most of our multi tile monsters for alternate
set *
* You must make the last "high" png bigger than 32x32 - like 32x40 or 32x50
or whatever *
* its a work of some minutes to change clients for this *
* the server NEVER handles with the content of a media file, so he don't
care about it*

* MORE: there is a GOOD point: For a high monster, you only include the foot
part of it
  as object in the map - the HEAD is "in the air"  - so, you reduce there
some overhead *

And because the tiles are arranged in diamond shape style and drawed in iso,
the position of
objects are "sorted" in a eye friendly way your brain think thats all
"natural".

diamond shape iso is a grafical AND a physical (the form and position of the
tiles) "trick"
to fool your eyes... and a technical way to blt the object correct (think
about "high" objects).

Thats ALL.

And for a really last time (i don't want repeat it again and again) - you
CAN'T do this physical/
technical view in the way our png sets are working.

I mean - SHOW me the game/gfx which use it!

Do you think the prof. game artists are all idiots? They know what they do
and they
had some more thinked about it than you - they got money for it.

So, don't try to develope the wheel again - use what people had done.

Michael

      dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au

      > wrote:

      > Umm I tend to disagree with this.

      > Firstly, I honestly DON'T believe an 'iso' view version of crossfire, or

      > at least a version like the 'standard set'. I personally

      believe that with

      > a short month, Peterm and I have created a better, more congruent, set

      > that really does look great. The alternate set (which can be found on

      > crossfire.csua.ber....) may look easy to convert to iso but there is a

      > large problem and that is with the multitiled monsters. If we take on an

      > iso view major changes are going to have to be made, and IMHO it simply

      > isn't worth our time.. certainly if some wiz artists comes

      along AND MAKES

      > the new images I would be happy to see such ventures, but until we have

      > some real live artist walking about, that I can talk to and ask

      questions

      > about, I don't support this view.

      > ------------------------------------>

      > You say you don't want iso because you don't have time to

      create iso monsters,

      > or at least convert. It's your right but don't forget we can

      parse a lot of

      > flat object (ground and so on) to iso esaily (just some

      deformation). What

      > concern monster, 1 square monsters can, at least for the

      moment, be parsed

      > like that (they look good for iso). What concern multiple

      square monsters, i

      > believe it's a problem but once again, we could for the begin of the

      > developpement, parse them as flat objects which stand up in the

      front square.

      > The critical point of this are walls, doors, exits, houses,

      sign and other