[CF-Devel] 25 by 25 instead of 11 by 11 map

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruznet.com
Thu May 24 16:53:32 CDT 2001

On 24 May 2001, Ben Norrington wrote:

      Would anyone be interested in a mod to the client and server that uped

      the visable map size to 25 by 25. I have made a mod for the 0.98

      versions of the linux client and server. It is not backwardly compatible

      with the old clients tho. I would like to know if you think that this

      would be a good change or whether I sould just take all your code and

      write crosswater or something (GPL'ed of course). Also would some kind

      of time system be of interest so that the maps where dark at certain

      times of the day or so that monsters were not out all the time. If this

      has all been done before I apoligise - I am new to this and only have

      version 0.98.

 I would definately be interested in seeing the code.

 This has been mentioned more recently.  Ideally, the maximum size will
be a compile time setting on the server.  This is mostly to determine
what the optimum size may be (25x25 may be considered too large).

 The client should then be able to negotiate with the server what size
display it wants.  Maybe it only wants 11x11, or 15x15 or whatever.
Typically, negotiation of smaller size would be for bandwidth reasons,
but running on low res displays, it may be desirable to run at the lower
resolution.

 I'm sure your code will provide a better starting point for them than
from starting from scratch.