[CF-Devel] sprintf bad, snprintf good

Bob Tanner tanner at real-time.com
Fri May 25 13:40:17 CDT 2001

I was looking through the socket code for the metaserver routines and I see a
significant use of sprintf and strcpy. I hate these functions.

Being an ISP I fight a war with hackers almost daily. The 2 most used attacks
are buffer overflows and format string vulnerabilities.

sprintf and strcpy are 2 of the most exploited function calls.

Can I replace these with snprintf and strncpy?

Can I recommend that we use the 'n' string functions for this day forth?

--
Bob Tanner <

     tanner at real-time.com

     http://www.mn-linux.org