[CF-Devel] Future crossfire changes/projects <Basic's ideas>

Sebastien Bracquemont dweeves at hotmail.com
Mon May 28 20:12:02 CDT 2001

Hi folks , it seemed that i missed a little (good) thing.

Is there a move to port file formats to XML ??

I think it's a great idea.We can this move to reorganize some things as well
if necessary.

It could make the file format clear and safe (if a DTD is provided), and
easy to read as well.

I'm using Xerces professionally.
This library is great But .... not very easy to use and is C++ intensive !

so , if you wanna use it , the best is to create a wrapper classes for
(R)ead and/or (W)rite operations

For Write operations, it's far from trivial to do it if you wanna use DTD's
as well.The Xerces API isn't very documented for these kind of 'controlled'
writing.

I think we should use DTD in order to describe the file formats.

I think i can provide easy to use C++ classes for XML R/W operations based
on Xerces.

Xerces can either use A DOM or SAX way to handle files. But their DOM
implementation is based on SAX mechanisms, so to use DOM efficiently, you
have also to register some SAX handlers.

Can i have some XML samples too ?

Thanks

Dweeves.