[CF-Devel] New project

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruznet.com
Tue May 29 15:46:12 CDT 2001

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Scott Barnes wrote:

      I have started writing a GNOME client for Crossfire, and I was wondering if

      you might host it.  I was just going to start a SourceForge project for it

      but I thought I'd check with you guys first.  It's based off the GTK

      client's code, though mostly only the protocol code still remains from it.

      I'm nowhere near finished with what I intend to do with it, but it already

      works (except the new docking code) and can do everything the other GTK and

      X11 clients can.  Also, if you don't want to make it an official client,

      can I at least get a show of hands of people that are interested in it?

 If it works, the ideal solution would be to just put the needed source
files into the current client directory and modify the makefile to
build that client of appropriate libraries are available.

 The big advantage of this is that you keep more of the common code, so
as no protocol commands are added, your client would not to get modified
in addition to the other clients (now if that new protocol command means
new data to be displayed, that will of course require modificiation).

 Just for curiousity, can you give some examples of what your client does
beyond the gtk client that we already have?  My impression is that gnome
apps generally use gtk as their toolkit.