[CF List] Not getting sounds (gtk+ client)

cf dubious at 2xtreme.net
Thu May 24 18:47:27 CDT 2001

Congratulations, incidentally, on the 1.0 release!

I got a server set up on my home network and have finally
made time to sit down and "seriously" play with Crossfire for
the first time since I heard of it two years ago, and I'm quite
impressed.

I'm having trouble, though, getting sound.  The cfsndserv process
seems to be running, but I never hear any sound from it.  No error
messages show up on the console, so I can't tell what the problem
might be.

If it helps, I'm running it under KDE 2.x, and I've tried invoking it
with a plain "gcfclient -png -cache" and with "artsdsp gcfclient -png -cache".
Two machines I've tried it on are using the alsa drivers, and another
is just using the OSS driver from the kernel (2.4.4).

Any suggestions?  As far as I can tell from perusing the older mailing
lists, either I'm the only one with this problem, or nobody else
has noticed the lack of sound (which is possible - I find the game
quite fun without the sound anyway, I'm just wondering why I'm
not able to get it working...)

Thanks!
--
"Given the pace of technology, I propose we leave math to the machines
and go play outside." - Calvin