[CF-Devel] CF object structure (was RE: brief introduction)

Tim Rightnour root at garbled.net
Sat Oct 6 01:23:24 CDT 2001

On 05-Oct-01 Andreas Vogl wrote:

      Well, I know: Probably most of you will now think that's crazy

      because it's way too much work. But if it is - Then maybe we should

      just stick to what we've got and try to make the best out of it?

Personally.. all I want is a Class/Subclass *field* in the objects that I can
use to categorize them.  I don't fully comprehend what Mark really wants, or
what the benefit for it is, but I'm just trying to throw this out and get a
feel for what people want with it.

I guess my point is this.  Mark's idea seems logical, from a structure point of
view, your idea does as well, but involves c++, which I have an inherent hatred
for ;)  What I don't really see, is what the payoff is for either.  Basically,
all I want to be able to do is classify items better.. so.. my vision is this:

Item Type:  Food, Furniture, Ring, Amulet, Armor, Weapon
Class: Sword, Axe, Dagger, polearm, couch, chair, fountain, etc
Subclass: slash/bash/stab
Flags: Drinkable, two-handed, throwable, sittable(?), giant-only, dwarf-only,
       etc

I don't need a whole inheratance structure.. all I want to do is be able to
specify with more precision what an object is.  For example, if a fountain was
marked:  Furniture, fountain, drinkable.  Then it wouldn't be difficult to make
drinkable fountains, or reusable chests.

I'll admit, both your and Mark's idea might make the code a bit easier to read,
but looks like it will be a significant rewrite of the engine.  I think new
fields could be added without much pain, and made optional, as the archetypes
were caught up.  My way isn't ideal, but gets me the functionality I want,
without rewriting half the engine.  (rototill usually means more bugs too)

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net

NetBSD: Free multi-architecture OS