[CF-Devel] Crossfire plugins

Chachkoff Yann yann.chachkoff at mailandnews.com
Sun Oct 14 10:16:59 CDT 2001

I finally implemented the even-driven plugin support into the crossfire CVS.
Au menu:

- Generic event_xxx tags to connect objects to specific plugins;
- Local events (triggered for a specific object only, like apply or drop);
- Global events (like map_enter, map_leave, login,...);
- Sample plugin: Python support;
- Sample plugin: Advanced logging facilities;

As no opposition came out, I finally removed support for Guile - it would
have been redundant with Python, wasn't plugin-event compliant, and managed
less events than the new system.

The plugin support is available on both UNIX (via dl library) and Win32
systems. Note that currently the two plugins provided are only
UNIX-compatible, but only minor changes in their respective code is needed to
make them run fine under Windows too.

About the Python Plugin:
It is expected to be stable enough to be run in place of Guile on public
servers. Of course, there still may be quite some bugs, but it should not
cause too many problems.

About the Logger:
It is still under development. His author warns you: use it at your own risk !
It is included in CVS just for developers working on it.

If all that new code causes problems, please report it as soon as possible.

Chachkoff Y.