[CF-Devel] Various proposed changes

Yann Chachkoff yann.chachkoff at MailAndNews.com
Sun Sep 2 04:54:55 CDT 2001

       All of these are very easy to do, but may have consequences that I don't

      fully see.

      Eating flesh when starving:  Currently, when food gets to zero, your

      character blindly grabs for a bite to eat.  This only looks for

      food/drink/poison items. It does not look for flesh items.  If you have a

      big pile of wyvern stakes or other body parts and no other food, you will

      die of starvation.  I suggest that this grabbing for a bite to eat also

      work on flesh items.  It could very easily be coded that eating a flesh

      item happens after we don't find any better suitable items.

     That is a good idea, and I do not know any possible bad side effect.

      detect magic/detect curse detecting non equipment items:  If you case

      either of these spells, things like gates, buttons, and various other non

      pickable objects will flash magical - often times something buried beneath

      a floor may flash (or maybe its the floor).  IMO, this is just a little odd

      - things like the gates aren't really magical, they are just keyed such to

      denote that magic can not pass if I recall.  My suggestion is that we only

      flash the magical effect (and so mark the objects) that can actually get

      picked up.  My only thought on this is that monsters won't get flashed

      (don't know if they do right now, but shouldn't detect monster get used for

      that anyways?  But my thought is that some maps in pupland (or elsewhere)

      may require players being able to see the no magic areas to successfully do

      the map?

I want to put some nuance on that point.
You can easily imagine objects that can't be picked up to be magical (not as a
side effect; for example, a cursed statue that transforms into a monster when
you touch it may be detected as "magical"). It is indeed true that the current
detection system sometimes gives strange results - but I also think that
detecting only equipment items is not sufficient.

      detect monster improvement (just thought of this one): I've never found

      much use for this spell, but have an idea that may make it more useful,

      especially combined with fog of war code - instead of just doing the little

      magical flash showing where monsters are, show the actual face of the

      monster?  I think this can be done pretty easily just by copying the

      monster face over to the magical effect.

       This can be done for other spells also - think of things like 'detect

      walls' that let you know the layout of the walls in the area?  detect

      treasure, etc.

Yes, that may be quite a good idea.

Chachkoff Y.

     http://MailAndNews.com