[CF-Devel] Combing multipart images proposal/thoughts.

Yann Chachkoff yann.chachkoff at MailAndNews.com
Tue Sep 4 05:43:26 CDT 2001

     ===== Original Message From Mark Wedel <

      mwedel at scruz.net

      > =====

      I finally have some time to think about doing this, so I thought I would run

     over the ideas/thoughts to the list.

     Background:  currently, big monsters/buildings (say the shops) that are more

     than one space are made up of multiple images.  The shop for example is

     actually

     4 images, and not one.  The proposal is to made the shop just one image of

     64x64

     in size (for purpose of this e-mail, I am going to use the current 32x32 tile

     size and not other tile sizes).

     <snip>
I agree with the general idea.

      I would also say that the xpm and xbm support should go (no reason for it to

     stay at this point anyways) - trying to support combining those into large

     images and rewriting the clients for that would be a pain.

     mmm. There I'm not quite sure, so I extend myself a bit.
I agree that XBMs are not used a lot these days - they are quite ugly and do
not offer any advantages over XPMs or PNGs IMO.
I disagree with the fact that XPMs should go. XPMs are smaller than PNGs, and
thus easier to display on quite a lot of machines. That may be only a small
argument for maintaining XPMs, but it is definitely worth to think about it.
I do not see why it would be a pain to try to support combining XPMs into
larger images.

     To my knowledge, this currently includes the java client

     (unsupported/unmaintained?), direct x client,

     native sdl client, gnome client, gtk client, x11 client, java editor, and

     crossedit (near unsupported). Certainly not all those need to get updated,

     but

     I'm not sure which/how many are being used and how many people will complain

     if

     their favorite program no longer works. I'd only do the gtk client for sure -

     any of the others would be much more up in the air.

Again, I disagree.
I admit that Crossfire was initially a UNIX game, making the X11 (and later
the GTK) the "standard" client. But today, the DirectX one is quite commonly
used, so you certainly need to add it to the "must-update" list. The same is
true for the Java Editor, which is quickly becoming the new standard.
Crossedit could of course be removed; but remember that if doing so, it will
mean you'll need Java to be able to create maps - crossedit may be outdated
and ugly, but it is the only "native" editor currently available.
Another question I want to ask about the SDL client and the ISO-related stuff:
what will be done about them ? Does it mean another complete change with them
?

     Objects/images need to get redone.  This can be done in a piecemeal fashion

     <snip>
mmm. I agree that the current Objects/Images system needs to be redone.

However, I'm not quite sure that it is really a good idea to try to "recycle"
the current system into an improved one. Of course, it may make the
development time shorter. It also mean that we'll get the risk to end up with
an "hybrid" system that may proove too limited again on the long run.

The problem with the current architecture is that the GFX handling has never
been clearly separated from the server core. This of course has some
advantages. But it also has some major drawbacks (basically, the current
system makes the GFX too dependent of the internal object structures).

Why don't we make the GFX handling independent of the "game internals" ?
Basically, all the client would need to know is the position of each object
displayed, the size and the associated picture.

In my own opinion (but remember that it is just a personal point of view), all
the GFX handling should be in the hands of the client. A picture would be only
sent from the server only if the client explicitely request it (like the
"cache images" system currently used). Maybe the "picture server" could even
be a completely separate program (a picture server / picture set & format for
example). The server should only send relative positions of each visible
object.

Again, I understand quite well that my solution would require quite a lot of
work and an intense thinking (and lots of people want results fast). But I
believe that solution will finally end up with a clearer and lighter
communication protocol combined with a server less dependent of the visual
material.

Chachkoff Y.

Visit

     http://www.chachkoff.f2s.com