[CF-Devel] PROPOSAL: Luck

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Sun Sep 16 17:14:10 CDT 2001

dnh wrote (in reply to Tim Rightnour):

      > > [...] Luck has a lot more effects on various actions. Success of

      > > spellcasting/prayers, even alchemy receipes and the likelyhood of

      > > god intervention (divine "gifts" while praying over an altar) all

      > > depend on luck. Luck is maybe less powerful a stat as STR or POW for

      > > example, but it's okay that way, IMO.

      > I don't quite understand, perhaps you could enlighten me here.

      > I looked at the source, and just a simple grep: (1.0.0)

      > Alchemy gets a luck bonus, and it would appear that the identify spell,

      > and spell fumbles get luck bonuses.  Oops, yes, praying at altars.

That's just what i said above. I don't see where I need to enlighten
you any further Tim. :)

      > IMHO, these are all very one-off, special case scenarios. They don't

      > represent luck well as a statistic. I'm not convinced having luck is

      > an advantage at all given these corner cases. [...]

      I would agree with Tim on this point actually. I like the idea of luck

      being used in all random counts. It will of course make the amount of

      luck someone has very important, but then it should already be like that

      now.

Now that's exactly the point where I disagree. The thought of a stat
which affects every single aspect of the game horrifies me, as a developer.
Artifacts with high luck bonus would surely pop up in such a case,
and they would then unbalance every aspect of the game - Yuck!
Besides, spells/monsters/maps etc. already need to be tested against
players of different levels, I don't want to test everything against luck
bonuses in addition.

That's why I think the luck bonus shouldn't get out of hand.

Andreas V.