[CF-Devel] A brief introduction, and some thoughts

Tim Rightnour root at garbled.net
Fri Sep 28 11:01:22 CDT 2001

On 28-Sep-01 Mark Wedel wrote:

       I thought I saw code someplace such that if you worshipped a god that was

      your

      enemy (or you were an enemy of the god), bad things would happen.  But maybe

      that is just for equipping god named items.

It turns out that you are correct.  I happened to see this while hacking on
something else a few days afer I wrote this email.  so.. oops. ;)

       These are hard coded, which is the real problem.  Plus, the code has no idea

      if

      a weapon is a pointing tape or a bludgeon type, or whatever.

Right.. and thats next on my list.  I've been looking at your old email about
object classification, and I think I want to implement that.  I've been
thinking along the lines of every object having a Class, Subclass, and
SubSubClass.. like:

Class: non-consumable
Subclass: sword
SubSubclass: slash

I know you had some ideas on this.. I'd really like to hear those.

       Wouldn't be really hard to do - just set up a table someplace in the

<talking about acid/fire/cold>

Actually.. I've allready implemented this, and am testing for commit.

       the nice thing about getting information on the attacktype that did the most

      damage is that the messages now provide a little more information.  If you

      have

      a weapon that is say physical | fire, and the damage messages say you are

      doing

      physical, you can pretty much know that the monster has high fire resistance,

      so

      maybe switch to that phys | cold weapon, and certainly don't cast fire spells

      at

      it.

I haven't really considered this.  From looking at the code.. it wasn't obvious
that that was actually happening.  Is it?

I'll reply to the rest later.. when I get home from work..  ;)

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net

NetBSD: Free multi-architecture OS