[CF-Devel] A brief introduction, and some thoughts

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Sat Sep 29 06:33:37 CDT 2001

Tim Rightnour wrote:

      [...] I've been looking at your old email about object

      classification, and I think I want to implement that. I've

      been thinking along the lines of every object having a Class,

      Subclass, and SubSubClass.. like:

      Class: non-consumable

      Subclass: sword

      SubSubclass: slash

I think type and sybtype would actually suffice. We could then
have a type "weapon" with subtypes axe/sword.., or slash/stab..
whatever. Armour could also be sub-classified in light/medium/heavy
armour. This would allow more creativity with skills and race/class
properties. Hence, a cool thing to to.

      > the nice thing about getting information on the attacktype that

      > did the most damage is that the messages now provide a little

      > more information. [...]

      So.. I reread the code around there, and I see what you are saying

      now. With a minimal amount of work to what my current patch entails,

      I think I can do exactly what you describe here.

Yes, having some feedback on attacktypes/resistances is something
I've always felt was missing somehow. It would be good to not let the
attack messages get too long though, as this might slow the game
for online play.

      [About karate-like skills:]

      True, they would have to be planned out and fiddled with, but for

      example KO'ing a dragon, yes.. you might do it, and lets say I put

      it to sleep. [...]

KO'ing monsters is very difficult to handle, as most maps are
designed in a way that getting past a monster means getting the
treasures. It should only happen to monsters of lower/equal level than
yours. (Monsters that you would be able to kill too)

I remember there was a suggestion long ago to completely redo
karate-like skills with special moves that consume health to
execute. This was one of the "cool-but-I-won't-code-it" things. :)

      > Attacking with two weapons has been discussed before. Biggest problem

      > is that weapons are generally the best items in the games.

      I agree.. but it depends on how it's done.

The critical point is not the additional damage but all the extra-
goodies you get from weapons (resistances, stats etc).
By allowing players to wear two weapons, all shields would become
totally useless suddenly. And this is not easy to balance out.

      > I wouldn't mind seeing two handed weapons in which you can't

      > use a shield.

I agree on that.

Andreas V.