[CF-Devel] Issues I'de like to bring up

Sat Apr 27 21:36:07 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Rightnour" <

     root at garbled.net

To: <

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com

Sent: Monday, April 28, 2003 9:33 AM
Subject: Re: [CF-Devel] Issues I'de like to bring up

      On 28-Apr-03 Justin Zaun wrote:

      > Agreed. but the boring people should have some built-in AI. hold some

      > kind of converation that really don't give up any info at all.

      Heh.. how fun/annoying would it be to put an eliza engine on all the

     speechless

      NPC's...  :)  Of course you would have to seed it with game relevant

      information, like possibly lore.

      Could do things like look for basic words like "hello hi help" and have it

     just

      spit out a random peice of lore, and if you say something more complex,

     have it

      just generate an eliza response.  Of course.. to make it interesting, much

     like

      rumors in nethack, we would have to preload some false ones.

     That was part of the idea for lore, to feed conversation by key word as well
as generate books.  I was playing with Megahal one day and thought it would
be neat to have some NPC's hooked to a couple of 'personalities' with some
game information.  Many years ago on PostModernMoo, I played with markov
chainers that would listen in on conversations and the spit out a jumble of
orderly nonsense.  I always wanted to do a site where I had 'great writer'
markov chainers filled up with all their works and you could generate a
pseudo story.  Anyway, they chew up CPU, but then again that was when 40mzh
was bleeding edge (hey, maybe have the engine on the clientside...)

Of course I didn't think to jumble up the lore, but feed it out random based
on weight and keyword.
I didn't think it would be all NPC's but there is no reason it couldn't be
(unless it was onerous for players to hear all the chatting.)  Since it will
take a while to build up a lore pile, I figure there is time to work out the
details.  Heck there is still some waffling on the data format.  Something a
bit more than a single keyword -> lore table would be required I think.
Andi suggested location and level information has been kicked around.  False
rumors is a new twist - a good idea, I guess there will have to be a little
guide for lore creation including ranking and lies guidlines.  Maybe even a
true/false field for maintainers to see (maye also hooked to a player's
charisma...If they don't like you they lie more often...)

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com