[CF List] SDL Client

Raphaël Quinet quinet at gamers.org
Wed Apr 10 08:01:58 CDT 2002

On Tue, 09 Apr 2002 00:27:53 -0700, "Mark Wedel" <

     mwedel at sonic.net

      Todd Mitchell wrote:

      > [...]  Is the SDL client the main push now, how close is it to working?

      > The DX client is really tickin me off (the cache and DX is buggy for me in

      > general) and I need a good, simple to install client for Win32 if I expect

      > to lure people into playing.

        My granted limited experience with SDL is that it is a very low level

      interface - this means that if you want to have scrollbars, you need to make

      your own widget to do so.

It is possible (as explained on the SDL site) to embed an SDL area inside a
GTK+ widget.  I do not know how much would be gained from that, because
limiting the usage of SDL to the map area and maybe the inventory would
probably not bring many benefits compared to the GTK+ client, but this
should be possible anyway.

        I'm not a windows user/developer myself, but I know some people have mentioned

      that there is a windows gtk port.  Someone seeing how feasible it might be to

      make the gtk client compile on windows (and release a windows version of it) may

      be interesting.

GTK+ 2.0 shoud compile "out of the box" on Windows.  It should not be too
hard to adapt the code written for GTK+ 1.x to the 2.x API.  Another option
is to use the hacked version of GTK+ 1.3 for Windows that was used to
compile the Windows version of the GIMP.  Follow the links from

     http://www.gimp.org/win32/

But the best long-term option is probably to make sure that the Crossfire
client uses GTK+ 2.0 and follows the portability guidelines so that it
could compile easily on all platforms (UNIX, Windows, MacOS X and maybe
even OS/2, although the last one may require some work).

-Raphael