FW: [CF-Devel] CFEditor cleaning up

pstolarc at theperlguru.com pstolarc at theperlguru.com
Fri Aug 2 08:43:16 CDT 2002

Michael Keuchen wrote:

     Arguments I see:

     Advantages of long names (like "de.tabacha.crossfire.editor"):

     - java standard

     - unique all over the world

     - more flexible (e.g. if you combine the editor with a java client,

     the classes for the client can be in de.tabacha.crossfire.client).

     Advantages of short names (like "cfeditor"):

     - changing from base dir to source file dir is faster

     - less characters to type in "import" statements

     I (and most Java developers) prefer the long names.

     But I am not bound to this point.

     If you think short names are a must, o.k., let

     's use them.

     But all source files must reside in a package (nothing in default

     package, see above), and, PLEASE, use small characters ("cfeditor",

     NOT "CFEditor"). This is Java standard and will be no problem for

     you.

      > - Changed project name to from CFJavaEditor to CFEditor

      >      Old name was a bit long-winded.

      CFJavaEditor is the name - and that's where it stays.

      I hope you understand, but it's really not the habit to have

      project names changed like that.

     I understand. Seems that I was going too far at that point.

     However, I don

     't like that name. People that are interestedd

     in the programming language will soon recognize that it's Java,

     and other people don't want to be bothered with that stuff.

I think part of the reason you hit a lot of resistance on this name change
is that there already is a seperate cfeditor.  It's written in C, and
distributed with the server package.  cfeditor is the original map editor,
the java editor came later.

The other part of the reason you hit a lot of resistance is that the
project is known as CFJavaEditor, or simply as "the Java Editor".  There is
considerable inertia in the name.  It's a mature product, and needs a damn
good reason for a name change.

There are other issues too, but these are the most important.

-Philip
(OTOH, a name change would probably be a good thing, but needs a lot of
planning and "the perfect name".)