[CF-Devel] "cleaned-up" CFJavaEditor testversion

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Thu Aug 8 18:15:05 CDT 2002

I've now realized some of the discussed/requested things
about the JavaEditor and uploaded a zipped version of
the new setup to

     http://mids.student.utwente.nl/~avogl/CFJavaEditor/.

(My old site is up again, thanks to mids)

So, what I did is mainly changing the directory structure.
It's now almost that what Michael Keuchen proposed except
for the long package name:

------
CFJavaEditor/
    CFJavaEditor.jar <- full archive (works alone too)
    lib/
        png.jar
    resource/
        conf/
            ...     <- 4 resource files (types.txt, etc)
        HelpFiles/
        icons/
        system/
    src/
        cfeditor/
            ...     <- all editor .java classes
------

Besides, if any of the resource files is not available,
the editor loads it from the jar archive if possible.
That also means the jar can now run completely stand-alone,
similar to the version Michael K. has created.

In spite of all named prallels to the version of
Michael Keuchen, there's quite a difference in the
way of implementation.

If this stuff seems to be working and there are no
complaints I might put it on CVS.
The downside of such a change is that all existing build
scripts will become useless and have to be re-written.
On the other hand, most of them were already outdated.
It will also be harder for people with lesser java experience
to compile and run the source with the new setup.

I also want to note that now there is time for
anyone to comment or complain about the directory tree
as well as the entire thing.
Once I have waited, tested and committed this stuff
I will probably not like to change it right again.

Andreas