[CF-Devel] Automake patch available, please test it

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Sun Aug 11 05:56:43 CDT 2002

Hello,

I made a patch with automake support for crossfire server sources.
It is available at

     http://www.bnet.pl/~jajcus/crossfire/

Filename contains timestamp of CVS sources it was build against.

How to use it:
- apply the patch to crossfire CVS sources
- install:
        automake-1.6.1-1
        autoconf-2.53-1
        libtool-1.4.2-10
  some other versions of these tools may also work.
- run: "autogen.sh" script
- run: make distcheck
If you get "crossfire-1.3.0.tar.gz is ready for distribution" message it
means everything seems OK.

The "make distcheck" builds a dsitribution tarball and checks if it
works.

Other interesting targets:
        make
        make install
        make dist
        make archives
        make clean
        make distclean
        make maintainer-clean

Please do test the changes and write me any comments/questions. I'll be
gone for my holidays in a few days so it would be great if any problems
are resolved sooner.

Some changes not commented yet:
        - DATADIR etc. are passed to compiler as -DLIBDIR=... options
          instead of autoconf.h header. This is done according to
          automake documentation ("datadir","libdir","localstatedir"
          should be used only in Makefile)
        - All perl script are called from Makefiles with $(PERL) not
          directly. These solves two problems:
                a) CVS doesn't handle file permissions well, so sometimes
                these scripts may lack +x permission
                b) this will work with any location of perl binary (as
                long as configure can find it) without changing script
                content

Greets,
        Jacek