[CF-Devel] Cause light wounds broken

Kevin R. Bulgrien kbulgrien at worldnet.att.net
Sun Aug 11 11:35:37 CDT 2002

At 01:19 PM 8/10/02, I wrote:

     Server 1.3.0 off of CVS...

     The cause light wounds spell can make monsters invulverable.  This has

     happened to me repeatedly.  No (reasonable amount of) damage can kill

     the creature after this happens...

They aren't really invulnerable.  I laid on the Run key and "went to
sleep" while running into the monster.  When I woke up, he was dead...

Without looking at the code, one might guess the problem to be one of
death detection and rollover.  Like a "life" number goes negative but
death isn't detected.  The creature now will not die until the variable
rolls back around to zero again.

     If I were to guess, I'd guess that the death check isn't working quite

     right...

     This character I see this with at the moment is a lvl 2 wisdom

     character with 5 Grace.  He's level 8 physical and cannot kill this

     particular gnoll with hundreds of successful hits with any melee

     weapon - even one that does damage other than physical.

     So, then if I let the invulnerable gnoll get out of the way I am firing,

     I can kill other gnolls with cause light wounds or waste hordes of them

     by melee.  Every now and then cause light wounds will make another

     invulnerable.

     Magic spells never seem to do this...