[CF-Devel] "cleaned-up" CFJavaEditor testversion

Michael Toennies michael.toennies at nord-com.net
Wed Aug 14 17:48:07 CDT 2002

The heavy memory use was always a strange thing. It is invoked by
the png pictures. It seems java use there the worst way which is
possible to store the arch pngs. And it seems to me that in the
load/convert/store procedure of the jrt and sixleg lib some intern
convertion buffers from icon/image/etc are not deallocated right.

I have tested alot of way to avoid it or free the unneeded memory.
Even the sixleg lib coder has no idea why this happens. Even the explicit
call of the java garbage collection after every loaded png has only a effect
of
1-5% more free memory - but a increased loading time by 500% or so.

This is really a part of the editor a java guru should look.

      > A problem I encountered is that sometimes -

      > with other memory-consuming programs running

      > and only 64 MB RAM - the program crashes in

      > the options dialog.

      The editor consumes about 40 MB of RAM constantly, so

      running it on a system with 64 MB is really on the edge.

      I also noticed that the JRE unfortunately is not

      behaving clever when it runs out of memory.

      On the other hand it is indeed slightly suspicious that

      it crashes in the options dialog and not, say, in the

      attribute dialog.