[CF-Devel] a couple diffs to the java editor ...

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Sun Aug 18 09:54:57 CDT 2002

      I'm not sure what you mean by 'verticalize' the attribute

      panel. Maybe this depends on the resolution the person is

      running at, but it seems to look fine for me. [...]

Yes, I have still underestimated the width of your screen. =)
On screens of "normal" geometric ratio, the attribute
panel is too wide to fit well into the right-side panel
as you did it.
By "verticalizing" I meant putting the elements of the
panel more in top-down order (so it fits better). But that's
where the layout-changes start to cause trouble.

      Are you basically saying to put the arch/select panel

      along the bottom beneath the map window, and have the map

      window then extend to the far right?

Exactly. This works surprisingly well with large screens/
resolutions and normal screen geometry. When the screen is
just wide enough to support it, that saves a lot of space
without giving up any convenience.

I'm quite happy with that and plan to have it permanently
in the editor as an option. Too bad it's not the perfect
solution for your particular screen but I think it will
please a lot of people.

      Note that both of these patches were more 'take a look, let

      me know what you think'.  If they are not made standard, not

      a terribly big deal - I can always keep the diffs for myself

      and apply the editor to get these preferences.

Sure, that's a good idea. I think moving around any
of the panels is actually very easy. Hence, these kinds of
patches would probably be small and fairly robust.
We could make a directory on CVS called like "custom patches"
and put diffs in there for special layouts like yours.

If ceratin custom layouts get very popular I can still
try to include them as selectable option in the editor.

Thank you for all of your suggestions and ideas. I always
appreciate to know what people think and want about the
editor. Even when I might not be able to realize everything,
it does give me directions what is important and how
certain things can be improved.

AndreasV