[CF List] automake/libtool support

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Tue Aug 6 12:15:34 CDT 2002

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 08:19:40PM -0700, Mark Wedel wrote:

       Does automake prevent against human errors :)?

     It does it harder to make such mistakes. If it is properly written.

       I'd like to see a Makefile.am of how one of the current makefiles would

       look in this new format so I could make a more educated opinion on whether

      it is worthwhile or not.

     I'll send an example Makefile.am for one of directories soon (probably not
the "lib/", because this is the hardest part :->)

       Presumably, only the developers will need automake - my guess would be

       they modify the makefile.am, run automake, run configure (maybe autoconf

      first)?  But end users just type configure, make, correct?

     Yes. This is exactly how does it work.

      >Libtool:

      >- portable way of building and loading plugins

      >... and probably some more

       I'm a little wary of adding additional dependencies that end users must

       have in order to install/create.  Of course, you could do something like if

      libtool is available, then build the loader for plugins, and if not, then

      you have no plugin support.

     I don't thing user will need anything more than today. There is ltdl
library for portable loading of modules, but I think libtool may work
without it. So there will be no additional dependencies.

       It's unclear why the current script code needs to be done as a loadable

      library instead of just compiling it in.

     As I have said I am PLD packager. And one of our assumtions is to make
dependencies of binary packages minimal. With dynamically loadable
plugins it is easier: main crossfire-server package doesn't require
python to be installed, but if someone wants to, he can install
additional python-plugin packages. Python will be required then.

      >Should I start?

       See comments above.  If it makes the makefiles significantly simpler, I

      suppose so - I'm uncertain that it will really prevent the errors you are

      seeing however.

     I think they will not be seen so often.

Greets,
        Jacek