[CF List] Leveling at high level

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Fri Aug 30 02:29:07 CDT 2002

      Doing some quick math on the exp table, I see that at level

      50, you need 1.3 million exp to gain a level.  At level 105

      of thereabouts, you only need 1.6 million.

      So point #2 isn't really happening.

      Before we re-do the experience table again, is the issue only

      needed for balancing about level 20 or so?

Yes, the lower levels seem fine to me.
It always took a fair amount of time for an average player
to get to level 20-30. After that, things started to go way
too fast.

      I decided to write a quick program to generate some new

      values - this is what it came up with:

      20:  8500000 (1000000)

      30: 21706742 (1628886)

      40: 43219053 (2653275)

      50: 78260242 (4321896)

      60: 135338563 (7039905)

      70: 228313024 (11467251)

      80: 379758508 (18678931)

      90: 626447066 (30425989)

      100: 1028276476 (49560700)

      110: 1682813889 (80729116)

      (only printed out every 10 levels to not clutter things as

      much).  First column is level, second is total exp needed for

      that level, and third is the delta exp (diff needed from the

      level below).  The first entry (1,000,000) was basically a

      starting value to get the formula going (and it matches pretty

      closely with the current table).

Those values look quite good. IMHO the gaps could still be
higher (especially the last 10 levels), but these values
are definitly a LOT better than what we have today.
Personally I'm abit out of the server code and I don't
know how high one could set the values before trouble
starts.

      Other than rounding off the values some, this certainly

      makes higher levels cost more.  The actual multiplier here is

      that the amount of exp needed to gain

      next level is 5% more than for this level.

Yes, let's just try it out. If modifying the levels[] array
in "common/living.c" is all that needs to be done, that'd be easy.

AndreasV