Castles and houses, was Re: [CF List] The 'dis'economy of crossfire

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Fri Aug 30 23:46:41 CDT 2002

  The castle idea is an interesting one.

  I'd abstract it to all houses.

  It would probably be more interesting to implement this idea on the
maps-bigworld, since there is a lot more empty real-estate.

  You could start out buying a 'deed' from a nearby town.  Various deeds
available (huts, houses, castles, towers, etc).

  The owner of the deed goes out into the wilderness, and applies the deed.  The
appropriate building is then created on that space (some sanity checking is done
to make sure it is ok to build there, eg, not on a road, river, etc).

  The basic layout of the building is determined by the type of deed you bought.
  Thus, a tower might have relatively small levels, but several of them.  A hut
may have just one room, castles many rooms and levels, etc.  In thus way, you at
least reduce some of the mundaneness of the player having to put down walls and
whatnot.  this also removes any trickiness of trying to deal with expanding with
staircases on so forth.

  When you use the deed, it remains in your inventory, but not as a way to
create a new building - to show you own the current one.  Only the person with
the deed can do things like change the floors, bushes, etc.  The user could
sell/give this deed to some other player if he wanted.  If he didn't pay his
taxes, his deed may get re-possessed and the town puts up for sale.  IF no one
buys it, the house gets demolished.

  The idea of buying scrolls (contracts) to do decoration makes the most sense -
it is much easier to implement this idea than trying to integrate an editor.

  Perhaps the building has some areas only accessible to the deed holder, like
an area that has a bunch of keys he can give to friends that may visit, as well
as access to 'display' cases where the owner can display some artifacts he has
acquired, as sort of a way to 'show off' what he has done.

  I think to some extent for this to be more appealing to the players, other
players need to be able to see what they have done.  I'm not sure how much work
I would do making up a house in the game if no one else would ever see it.  So
perhaps things like only the deed holder being able to pick up/move furniture or
many other things within his own house.

  The idea of needing artifacts for certain things make sense - I think the idea
of deeds/houses would really be a way for players to show things off (ala the
statue idea).  If no one could see what you have done, I would think the idea of
building castles would not be as interesting.