[CF-Devel] New Skill System

Yann Chachkoff yann.chachkoff at mailandnews.com
Wed Dec 4 02:55:30 CST 2002

       But I have a slightly different idea:

     1) A large portion of all exp earned goes to general exp category, and the

     rest

     to whatever skill you earned it in.  Large portion >50%.  So if you get 1000

     exp

     for killing something with a fireball, 500 goes to general, 500 to

     appropriate

     wizardry.  Exp in the general category realy doesn't count for anything.

     This

     ratio is a tunable (so some servers could set it 90%, which means players

     have a

     lot of flexibility, and others might set it 10%, which is sort of how it is

     now

     - exp goes to the skill you get it in)

     2) You move exp from this general category into whatever skills you want.

     This

     is just done by simple commands (eg, move_exp wizardry 500).  Ideally, the

     client provides a nicer front end to it.

     I find rather disturbing the idea of distributing general experience anywhere
you want. It means that you'd be able to get a very high wizardry skill just
by using a melee weapon for example. It does sound a little weird.
On the other hand, I agree with the principle for skill fine-tuning - this is
quite close to my own proposal.

     3) Each skill has its own exp total, and hence its own level.   All things

     related to the skill are based on the level you have in the skill (eg, attack

     bonus, being able to cast spells).  Some skills probably need to get cleaned

     up/redone.  EG, perhaps make sense magic and sense curse abilities of

     thaumertergy at certain levels, eg, level 5 you can sense magic, level 10,

     you

     can curse.  Some re-arrangement would need to get redone.  Some skills

     perhaps

     get broken apart, maybe 3 for weapon use, and others combined.  Deciding what

     skills remain, what new skills get added, what benefits are not really worth

     going into at this point, since this is just one point of a larger proposal.

     I completely agree about this.

     4) Somewhat related to #3 above, perhaps add a bardic area of magic/skill.

     This

     would actually use the charisma stat.  The bardic skill would also encompass

     the

     oratory and singing skills as certain level benefits.  Have the bard 'sing'

     spells, but rather than using mana, each has a longer casting time, and

     imposes

     some length of time that the bard can't sing again (this would be base on

     level

     of the bard, as well as perhaps things like what the bards con and cha is).

     Bardic magic could be quite fun, although it isn't directly rules-related.

     5) There would be a total that tracks the amount of exp the character has

     earned

       for purposes of their overall level.  This is basically the same as exp in

     skills + exp in general, but since there may be different ratios, might not

     be

     literally the same.

     I again agree with this.

     6) Reduce max level to 50 for everything.  However, level 50 still requires

     that

     1.5 billion exp or wahtever you current need for about level 110.  Cutting

     the

     level range down a lot will make it much easier to balance/set up skills so

     they

     are interesting/useful as you keep gaining them (eg, have some level 45

     spells

     for example).

     This is a difficult discussion.
An experimental server ran about three months ago with a 'reduced' experience
scale - Maximum level was around 30. Some players find the more challenging
environment quite fun; on the other hand, others found the game too difficult
and didn't like the increased risks.
Probably the best way to deal with this and make everybody happy would be to
define the experience scale in a configuration file instead of hard-coding it.
This way, 'easy' and 'hard' servers could be both available at the same time,
leaving the player choose whatever they prefer.

     7) No cap on total exp for skills - if a player wants, he can get level 50 in

     all skills - that is up to him if he finds that interesting.  However, I

     certainly think you would see characters focusing on just a few skills and

     getting really good in them, and not bother working on the other skills until

     they maxed out those.

       Yes, I know people say it is bad the characters get perfect in all the

     skills,
<snip>
Here I again agree with you. I don't like much the idea of such an artificial
limit (I know there was one in my proposal, but who said I always agreed with
what I said ?)

       One other idea would be some form of retirement/final quest, but completing

it

     means the character is gone (Ascended to heaven, whatever), but something

     notable is done (statue in town square?  Other recognition?)  That might

     inspire

     some players to go for that final quest.

     Turning them half-gods with temples ?
The idea of a 'final quest' seems quite interesting. You could even imagine
(on a longer perspective of course) "chapters" of quests - Finishing the Last
Quest would give you access to another world with new quests, items, and so
on.

       Alternative, move to 64 bit values for exp, and have exp needed for each

     level

     beyond 50 double from the previous.  Thus, a character could become level 70

     in

     some skill, but it would take them gobs and gobs of exp to do so.

     Probably moving the exp to 64-bit is a good idea, even if the 50-levels-based
system doesn't require it. I'm not sure keeping levels above 50 with doubled
costs would be very interesting - I tend to think that those levels will only
be more boring to play.

     8) This proposal does nothing about how skills are learned.  Maybe skill

     scrolls

     remain.  Maybe you have to go to guild houses.  Maybe a benefit of being

     really

     high in a skill is that you can teach it to someone else.  Maybe you have to

     do

     quests.  Maybe it costs some general exp to learn a skill.  IMO, learning

     skills

     is just a very minor piece of redoing/cleaning up the skill system in

     general.

     True indeed. IMO, learning processes are not directly related to the
experience/skills system.

     Phew.  So there is my proposal for people to tear apart.

     As this is pretty close to what I suggested, I'll probably not tear this
apart. My only concern would be about the 'general experience', which sounds a
little too 'general' for my taste. Apart from that, you definitely got a
supporter :)

Y. Chachkoff
Help supporting JXFire ! (

     http://jxfire.sf.net