[CF-Devel] patch for spell system

david delbecq tchize at MailAndNews.com
Sun Feb 10 05:09:46 CST 2002

I wrote a big modification on the way spells are used in the code. This is
only internal change and does
not affect the gameplay. The chages include:

 *  The spells internals have been separated from the rest of the code and are
only accessed using
functions in a file called spell_library.c. There should be no more access to
the spells[] table or the
spellarch[] table
 *  The spells are now saved in a list and not in a table. This allow to have,
for example, spells numbers
from 0 to 203 then spells from 500 to 504, then 600 to 602 and so on. There
may be holes in the list.
This should help creating new spells since you get a set of number, keep them
even if someone else is
creating newspells at the same time. This also open the door for people
wanting to allow players
creating spells (get a free number and keep it)
 *   All spells have their internals saved in a file called spellbook. This
file may be tuned by system
administrator, the same way the old file spell_params did, but in a larger and
more human readable way.
At the bottom of this mail, there is some example line from the file
  *  The spells are casted using a callback in the new structure. This allow
plugins to reference spells in
the server. However the hooks for referencing a spell from a plugin has not
been written yet :(
  *   The file spellbook in the shared crossfire dir is created automagically
by the server if not available.
This is done using thed old spells[] structure and the old spell_param file.
   *   The new structure also opens the door for a new kind of spell: the
localised spells. This will be done
could create spells that aim
a position and not a direction

I plan to cvs the code next week. But since it is a big change, i send a patch
for the moment.

-- A part of the spellbook file --

spell magic bullet
################################