[CF-Devel] town portal (RE: CVS commit: maps/city/misc)

David Hurst dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au
Tue Feb 26 19:10:59 CST 2002

      I suggested the void, because it's a specific solution to a specific problem,

      one which was being abused on our mud, and looks to be abused on CF.  If you

      think about it, the portal is a kind of "cheat" for the player.  He can avoid

      things that he would normally have to encounter.  The player is willing to risk

      the void, in order to cheat past the rest of the maze.  However, a normal

      spell, like say meteor storm, is not a form of cheating, it's just a high level

      mage causing lots of fire.  The void is designed to balance the cheat out.

I am guessing you don't get experience in the void? other wise ill be casting portals all day =)
Also, is it just townportal? or word of recall too? I am just thinking perhaps the god can send some punishment.

      I don't mind if you take a certain spell, and find a logical and just backfire

      for it, on an individual basis.

yeah this is true, it would get very tiresome if everyspell backfires etc at you. I'm sure alot of you have experienced low
level casting of say fireball at monsters. It is extremely annoying to fail the spells, even if it only takes half your mana
so much so that I sacrafice all my defense just to cast it properly. I also feel that right now Wizards are slightly
underpowered compared to warriors (and usually priests). Because of the high rate of immunity in monsters the only spells
which will generally kill a room are things like bomb, the rest just don't do any damage unless the monsters are vunerable.
Either bomb is overpowered, or all other spells are underpowered it is food for thought.

  Think of the void as "a rift in space time

      caused by the portal".  But I think each spell should be evaluated one at a

      time, and determined if it needs a backfire or not.  I do not agree that we

      should penalize spellcasters in general.

indeed, I think we should make any spell cast by a player with the name 'red_blaze' to backfire and kill him.

dnh>

      As yourself, why is it that nobody runs the backfire code.  :)

      ---

      Tim Rightnour <

      root at garbled.net

      NetBSD: Free multi-architecture OS