[7] RE: [CF-Devel] Starting Suspended Animation Process

David Hurst dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au
Wed Jan 2 22:13:57 CST 2002

Hmm this is a reasonable idea. That problem stems mostly from the fact
that mids server is very popular, and yet is running the cvs which is
generally regarded as unstable. I think alot of problems begun here,
firstly because we a relatively small group it takes a long time to
release a new version sometimes, this can make server admins and players
want to run the cvs just to take advantage of these great things. The
problem lies in that while the cool new stuff which is bug free is
there, so to are all the unbug free cool things! We could step up the
speed of releasing new version, but I suspect we would start to release
lesser quality code (this is my opinion, it is open to arguement).

Secondly, we don't have a great deal of beta tester like people, so the
only way a big change can get tested is by releasing it on a server that
people play. It does mean we get feedback very fast ;), but at the same
time we may upset lots of players. Perhaps it might be made clear that
the cvs tree is really for those who enjoy new things, but at the same
time are prepared to risk losing it all by accident. I did notice mids
talking about running two servers on one machine, firstly it might be a
good idea to have a stable and cvs server at mids.student...... ? but
then again, i suspect players will all group to the cvs server because
more people will be there?

Well after the _bad_ incident with Mich =(, it is very hard hitting to
see you (gros) leave too =((. I must stress I don't and didn't want to
see either of you leave but it is your choice and I must let you take
your own paths. Perhaps if people were alittle more open on exactly
where they stood we might avoid these incidents, at the very least we
could try and stop this developer loss, gros says there are to many...
that point I completely, totally, and utterly disagree with.

yours humbley
dnh

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 04:51:49PM -0800,

     kevin at ank.com

      wrote:

      I think what Yann really needs is a stable branch; or perhaps Tim

      needs an unstable branch.  I've worked on some very large projects

      and you really have to be able to destabilize the tree at certain

      points to make any progress.

      Overlays sound like a very useful feature for the large map work

      that is going on.  But that obviously shouldn't destabilize an

      active server like 'mids'.  By branching the CVS trunk at some

      point it would be possible to continue patching problems in the

      stable branch while adding more dangerous but also more exciting

      changes to the main branch.  Porting patches back to the main

      trunk can become a bit of a chore, but ultimately when the next

      stable version is branched it will stabilize regardless of whether

      the patches have all been moved or not.

      Cheers,

      -kls

      root at garbled.net