[CF-Devel] RE: [Crossfire-cvs] CVS commit: CFJavaEditor

Yann Chachkoff yann.chachkoff at MailAndNews.com
Sat Jan 19 02:18:22 CST 2002

     o Why is the source code suddenly in

     "/src/org/crossfire/editor/CFEditor"?

       Did you try to hide it or something?

       This new directory strucure might be handy in *your* editor, it

       definitly is not in mine. Besides, to my knowing it is convention

       that Package name and directory path are identical. Visual J++

     enforces

       this. The new Package name "org.crossfire.editor.CFEditor" therefore

       doesn't work. It has to be "src.org.crossfire.editor.CFEditor".

       However, I would greatly prefer the *.java files back in the

       "/CFEditor" dir, where they belong.

Just as a short information notice: The package name and directory path are
not identical. The package name and the directory path -relative to the base
classpath- are.
So in this case, the editor code can be put in any subdirectory following the
scheme:

CLASSPATH/org/crossfire/editor/CFEditor

I don't know Visual J++ very well, but there's certainly a way to extend your
base classpath for each project. If you use an external JVM (like the one from
Sun), you can also redefine the global CLASSPATH variable and add /src (or
X:\src) to it.
Now quite a lot of other programs follow the package name convention
org.<project>.<subpart> (like org.crossfire.editor.CFEditor); this may make
the integration of the project into a complex package tree easier (For
example, the Giant Java Tree at

     http://www.gjt.org

     ).

Hope this may be of any use to youY. Chachkoff

Visit

     http://www.chachkoff.pronym.org

      for a
journey into a fantastic world !