[CF List] Problems reusing characters from 0.94.3

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Fri Jan 11 00:21:30 CST 2002

Daniel Lang wrote:

      At first I was unsure if I could reuse the character

      at all, since there are now distinct races.

      But when I tried it, it seemed to work at first.

      Then a serious problem occurred, it seems like

      this happened together with a crash in the chess club,

      but I'm not sure if this related:

 I'd have to see the character file to see what really happened.  It seems that
the client crash would be unrelated to the old character file, as nothing in the
character file should cause anything to get sent that would cause a crash.

      I went into the chess club (that was new to me)

      and 'applied' the bookshelf. Then the client crashed

      because of a Bad X11 request (unknown pixmap or something).

      Since then, I could no longer play, since the position

      was saved obviously and I the client continued to crash

      as soon as my character was logged in.

 There seems to be a bug in the x11 client - my guess is the removal of the
pixmaps caused this, as it is probably trying to display a null pixmap.

      But since then I was unable to move, as it seemed all

      default key-bindings have been lost, all the keys

      to move, to apply, etc did no longer work.

      I could redefine these keys again with 'bind' but what

      did no longer work is to use a skill, cast a spell or

      shoot a missile weapon into a direction.

      <FireKey>-<dir> did no longer work, and I

      could not find a way to readd these kind of keys again.

 Not sure why they got clobbered.  You could probably copy the keys file from
the client distribution into ~/.crossfire.