[CF List] Error compiling client

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Jul 10 22:26:56 CDT 2002

Scott Barnes wrote:

      On Tue, 9 Jul 2002 12:08:51 -0500

      Bob Tanner <

      tanner at real-time.com

      > wrote:

     Quoting Olle Viksten (

      olle at viksten.com

      ):

     When I try to compile the 1.3.0 client I get the follwing message, can someone

     tell me what's wrong?:

     What OS?

     If linux what distribution?

     Version of gcc?

      After reading the original post I forgot to reply, so I'll reply to this one :)

      I've seen that same problem many times before, it's because you're using ALSA 0.9, while cfclient's ALSA code only works with ALSA 0.5.

  I should note that I recall in the past, there was a similar problem - the
ALSA code in the client worked with some older version, but not what was then
current (probably 0.5 I would guess).

  I guess in some sense ALSA isn't at 1.0 yet so may be considered free to
change their interfaces.  But I'm not that interested in having to keep
re-update the client code as the interfaces for ALSA changes (plus, I'm not
familiar with ALSA, and don't have it installed on my system).