[CF List] Sounds for cfclient and gcfclient are very quiet...

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Thu Jul 18 23:29:27 CDT 2002

Kevin R. Bulgrien wrote:

      Is there a reason why the sounds for the linux clients are so muted?

      If I turn my sound-volumes up where they are hearable, and I forget

      to change  mixer settings when not playing, then I get blasted out of

      my chair when any other sounds are made by the system...

      Is there embedded volume information in the .raw sound files and

      can I somehow adjust the files to a play louder?

  The reason they are quiet is probably the history of the files - they
originally date back to when they where .au files (sun audio format).  The
volume they had was about right to directly play to the internal speaker.

Sound files obviously include some volume type information - you sort of need to
so that a shout is louder than a whisper.

  My guess is that the raw files probably do not include sounds at maximum
volume (eg, if the range for each bit of sound is 0-255, then maybe the highest
in any of the raw files is like 100).

  I'm sure there are probably tools to read the raw files and scale the volume
up.  And this should probably get done, as I've noticed the same thing about the
sound files being quiet.  OTOH, I don't play many other sounds on my system so
tend not to notice it much.