[CF List] Concerning chests...

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Jul 28 23:39:54 CDT 2002

Kevin R. Bulgrien wrote:

      Crossfire 1.3.0  CVS as of today:

      This issue has been present for a while...

      You find a chest, find traps on it, disarm traps, then step on the chest.

      Apply the chest to open it, and various items are found.  Without moving,

      try to "get" items and this message is given:

        You cannot pickup a woodfloor

      Step off the square, and step back.  Now you can get the items...

  This has been a thorn in my side for a while.  Apply will have similar behaviour.

  The real cause here is that when you open the chest, the new items are placed
above the player in map stacking, but the display logic knows enough to put
things in the correct order as far as the client is concerned.

  the bigger issues is that the server has to know the stacking of objects is
consistent with the client.  What this unfortunately means is that if you are
standing on a space with say 50 objects, and drop something (which does not
merge with what is on the space), it needs to re-send all 51 objects now, since
the new object is on the top of the stack.

  What I really want to do at some point is modify client (and server to some
extent) logic so that when you try to do something like pickup or apply and
object without a specifier that the client passes along the tag of the item to
perform this action on (similar to if you clicked on it with the mouse).  In
this way, stacking is much less an issue (because the client will say 'pick up
item xyz', and the server can find item xyz, which may or may not be at the top
of the stack, but if the client thinks it is, it works out).

  I suppose what can probably done for current support for thinks like pickup
and apply is always start at the topmost object on the space, which may really
be above the player.  In that way, things like pickup below and apply below work
as expected.