[CF List] Problems & question on client 1.3.1 RPMS off of SourceForge

Bob Tanner tanner at real-time.com
Wed Jul 10 13:38:51 CDT 2002

Sound problem should be fixed and available on sourceforge.

Quoting Kevin R. Bulgrien (

     kbulgrien at worldnet.att.net

     ):

      Client sounds

      1)

      crossfire-client-sounds-1.3.1-realtime.1.rpm package confuses

      me.  The sound files are installed to /usr/share/sounds/crossfire, but the

      cfsndserv task expects them elsewhere, and spews errors .  The sound

      files really should be in /usr/share/games/crossfire/crossfire-client/sounds...

      I symlinked  the directory, and it works, but the package really out to be

      built consistently.

      # ln -s /usr/share/sounds/crossfire /usr/share/games/crossfire/crossfire-client/sounds

      GTK Client

      1)

      I noticed that pattern matching was changed with this release...

      Well, it has really changed...

      If there are "five stoneaxes" in the inventory, 'drop five stoneaxes'

      says "nothing to drop".

      'drop 5 stoneaxes' drops five of everything you have five of...

      OUCH!

      'drop bows +1' drops bows, not just the +1 bows...

      though the bow -1 is not dropped...

      Oops ... looks like we went to a minimal match on the regular

      expression or something...

      'drop daggers' drops all daggers except, for example "throwing

      daggers"...  (I would not have expected it to drop the them, so

      that is ok.)

      2)

      Also there is a persisting problem from older releases of the the

      client...

      Right-clicking an item to drop it, gives messages like:

           There are only one clubs.

      Sure there are, and I wanted you to drop them silly...  It seems

      the only fix here is to drop out of the client and restart it...

      When this happens, it is not possible to drop anything with

      a right click.

      3) GTK Client

      How on earth do I lock inventory items?  I can't see anything in  help

      that gives me a clue...  I am sure there is supposed to be some way

      to do it because there is a lock/unlock option on the inventory...

      4)

      What is the "Count" field for?

      5)

      Why does the menu selection  "Client Spells just dump a bunch of

      "Spell:" messages on the console session... Nothing else, just that.

      6)

      Is there a point to the menu functions under Action?  I guess the

      pickup's make sense, but why would I click cast, then have to take

      my hand off the mouse to type in the spell.  I must be missing something?

      7)

      What does  the 'E' key do?

      8)

      Experienced segmentation faults whenever I tried to save configuration

      options...  Oddly, the  options did not relate to the values in the user

      option file.   Permissions were correct.  Manually edited the file with

      vi, and segmentation faults quit happening...  Changed a few 0's

      to 1's...

      It is unclear why this started happening...  the client had never been

      installed on this system before, so the user did not have a pre-existing

      saved configuration.   It had created the file itself, but then was in a

      state where is seg faulted when the user tried to save new settings.

      ---

      Here's just a sample of the gcfclient output with some of the symptoms

      I've seen...

      [

      krb at krayp120

       .crossfire]$ gcfclient

      Character Width : 11

      Character Height: 11

      Warning: could not convert keysym F28 into keycode, ignoring

      Warning: could not convert keysym F34 into keycode, ignoring

      Warning: could not convert keysym F30 into keycode, ignoring

      Warning: could not convert keysym F32 into keycode, ignoring

      Warning: could not convert keysym F27 into keycode, ignoring

      Warning: could not convert keysym F29 into keycode, ignoring

      Warning: could not convert keysym F31 into keycode, ignoring

      Warning: could not convert keysym F33 into keycode, ignoring

      Warning: could not convert keysym F35 into keycode, ignoring

      Couldn't open /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy

      Playing on server type  Crossfire Server

      Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)

      [

      krb at krayp120

       .crossfire]$ gcfclient

      Character Width : 11

      Character Height: 11Character Height: 11

      Warning: could not convert keysym F28 into keycode, ignoring

      Warning: could not convert keysym F34 into keycode, ignoring

      Warning: could not convert keysym F30 into keycode, ignoring

      Warning: could not convert keysym F32 into keycode, ignoring

      Warning: could not convert keysym F27 into keycode, ignoring

      Warning: could not convert keysym F29 into keycode, ignoring

      Warning: could not convert keysym F31 into keycode, ignoring

      Warning: could not convert keysym F33 into keycode, ignoring

      Warning: could not convert keysym F35 into keycode, ignoring

      Unknown metaserver hostname: crossfire.real-time.com

      Unable to open /home/krb/.crossfire/sounds - will use built in defaults

      Playing on server type  Crossfire Server

      Unknown input state: 2

      /usr/share/games/crossfire/crossfire-client/sounds/click1.raw: No such file or directory

      /usr/share/games/crossfire/crossfire-client/sounds/click1.raw: No such file or directory

      /usr/share/games/crossfire/crossfire-client/sounds/Creaky-1.raw: No such file or directory

      gtk_main exited, returning from event_loop

      [

      krb at krayp120

       .crossfire]$

      [

[...]