[CF-Devel] multiple weapons

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Sun Jun 9 08:25:44 CDT 2002

The changes in equip method mark prosposed is very nice and I
see no problem with it.
However, I have to say something about indtroducing multiple
weapons for players:

When I see people promote ideas like "3-5 weapon arms" I
really wonder how that comes, assuming that everyone on this
list has played Crossfire for a good while.

In my opinion, allowing players to wield multiple weapons
is exactly that kind of feature that causes a lot of work and
trouble while gaining, well - nothing.

Maybe it is possible to spend a lot of time with creating
a complex method to merge bonuses, adjust all the maps,
introduce an ego-system and all that...
Now assumed you succeed to balance it perfectly (which I think
is impossible), what is the big gain? - You then have two
weapons equipped and still do exactly the same things you've
done before. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I really see no increase
in gameplay value.

I believe the argument "we should do it for future extendability"
is not justified either, because it causes a big lot of *extra*
work that would otherwise not be required. (I do hope everyone
agrees that it is not an option to code multiple weapons *without*
resolving the balance-screwup.)
So instead of "future extendability" we might get "a patch in
the remote future". ;-)
But certainly the person who wants to code it can decide.

Andreas