[cf-admin] re:maps

Joris Bontje jbontje at suespammers.org
Sun Mar 3 15:35:51 CST 2002

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 04:16:10PM -0500, Todd Mitchell wrote:

      Hi, I went into the logs and saw that there was a problem loading the World

      maps (although they were there).  There is a Perl script (connect.pl) in the

      world folder so I chown the map files to my crossfire account and the

      connect.pl and ran it.  Now I can go out the east gate.  Great.  I have no

      idea if it was running the script or chown, but it works.  Does this sound

      like a reasonable thing to do, or have I gone too far over the edge?

     I think you have the bigworld-maps...
that is a mapset upder development, probably you dont want it, just get
the normal 'maps'

      I will think about it - not going to weasel out of that question but no

      promises yet.  I spent

      quite a while picking Crossfire out of the roguelike pile and really think

      it is quite great.  With a week of experience under my belt it will not be

      comprehensive. Or rapid.  I know Perl as well as C which is to say, not at

      all.  I will see what I can snag from the readme files.  Any one want to

      send me procedures, tips, tricks or snippets and I will put them in a pile

      and perhaps add an index.

     Some random stuff:

Crossfire works fine on a Pentium 233MMX with 256 MB Ram
Required diskspace, atleast 250MB
Average ram usage, 30-40MB

Never run the server as root, create a special user for it.

change the message of the day in the MOTD file (share/crossfire/motd)
change the dungeon masters in share/crossfire/dm_file
change the announcement settings for the metaserver in
share/crossfire/settings

if you install it to a different location, use the --prefix option with
configure, example: ./configure --prefix=/home/crossfire

help with dm commands: become a dm, and type: help commands

run crossfire with crossloop, so it will restart after crashing

make daily backups of the var/crossfire directory, things might break

Regards,

Joris Bontje / mids
--
Gpg Key: Id=0xF19326A9 /

     http://mids.student.utwente.nl/~mids/jbontje.pub

Key fingerprint = 730D 9B3A F406 F28A 957D 6397 31E8 6D4C F193 26A9