[CF-Devel] Attitudes, egos, branches and stability of a server

Bob Tanner tanner at real-time.com
Fri Mar 1 20:43:13 CST 2002

Quoting Andreas Vogl (

     andi.vogl at gmx.net

     ):

      > > + Added new dragon race to crossfire.

      > > + Players of this dragon race can gain resistances

      > > + by eating the flesh of their defeated foes.

      > I think this should have been a branch off the main trunk.

      > Since the code is beta, it "forces" all other servers

      > implement this code even if all you want is some bug fix

      > on the main trunk.

      That's ridiculous. You shouldn't complain when you obviously

      don't read the cf-devel list. I've sent about a hundred mails

      announcing and explaining my patch. Everybody agreed to it.

      So go make your own branch if you need one.

Dude, you blow things way out of proportion. It's 6 posts. And I did read the
posts -all- 6 of them.

And everyone did NOT agree, PM seems to have some concerns.

     http://mailman.real-time.com/pipermail/crossfire-devel/2002-February/002995.html

     http://mailman.real-time.com/pipermail/crossfire-devel/2002-February/002999.html

And a -WHOLE- 3 days Feb 26 - Mar 1 to think about the idea and agree to it.
Just is not enough time for -everybody- to agree to it.

My point is you added untested/unproven code to the main trunk. Now when Mark or
gros make a patch/bug fix (which both have done by looking at backtrackes and
logs for metalforge) and commit them to the main trunk. I, and every other
server admin out there will have to incorporate your unproven code into our
servers, just to get the bug fix/patch.

As an aside, I do not know why you are so hostile. Don't know If it's residue
anger for the CFJavaEditor thing, or what.

I apologized for my transgresses and tried to work with you on a compromise. The
compromise was you blew away my work and call is "useless".

So, I just stepped back and have decided not to work on that project because of
your inability to work with other developers (or just me) and compromise on
ideas.

Your attitude makes me want to leave the crossfire community.

--
Bob Tanner <

     tanner at real-time.com

     >         | Phone : (952)943-8700

     http://www.mn-linux.org,

      Minnesota, Linux | Fax   : (952)943-8500